Elmwood Lawn Tennis Club
Elmwood Lawn Tennis Club was founded in 1922-3 on the ground at the end of Elmwood Road. Mitcham. owned by Sir Isaac Wilson. When in 1936 Sir Isaac decided to build Cumberland House, Elmwood received notice to vacate. The Club bought and equipped the present ground and opened for play in 1937. Play carried on through the War in spite of the raids. Over the years, the Club has had to find its own finances, and consequently the members have had to do a considerable amount of work themselves. Perhaps this has built up the very good social side which has been carried on all through and has never been better than today. There is little doubt that this has largely contributed to the success of the Club. Elmwood Tennis Club welcomes new members to their small friendly club set in a secluded and private setting. Ideal for families and players of any standard. The club competes in the LTA Surrey clubs league and players of a good standard are encouraged to submit themselves for the teams. There is also an internal Singles & Doubles tournament is held once a year in the late summer. PTR qualified coach offers lessons to beginners and intermediate players, and to both members and non-members alike.